The construction of the deep-water port of the Angolan province of Cabinda, a project estimated to cost around US$600 million, is scheduled to start in June, but preparatory work is already underway, the Cabinda provincial governor said Wednesday.
“Work on support infrastructure [for construction] is being carried out and in June 2015 the work itself will begin,” said Aldina da Lomba Catembo, cited by local media.
The governor had previously stated that the work is the largest ever carried out in the Angolan province, and will “take Cabinda out of isolation,” considering that the enclave is around 60 kilometres away from the rest of Angola.
Construction of the port, in Caio Litoral, is the result of a public-private partnership and will be implemented in three phases by Angolan company CAioporto SA
The first phase of the project involves construction of port infrastructure and construction of a ??100-hectare cargo services area.
Information provided by the concession company, responsible for the construction and future operation of the port, showed that this first phase – whose contractors have already been selected – also involves construction of a 775-metre pier.